My Etsy Shop - Kiss Me Krafty

Friday, July 17, 2009

Renewing my license...

My birthday is next week. I will be 43. I feel 43. I am not sure how 43 feels, but it must be the way I feel right now. Also, I am not liking the way I look. My face doesn't wear makeup the right way any more, could be that it has to navigate wrinkles now. Anyway, I woke up this morning dreading the trip to renew my license. I have never cared about my license picture, but since I feel so blah and old today, I thought I would fix myself up and put on a flattering top. I looked good and off I went.

If you have renewed your license lately and especially in the state of Georgia, then you know they are in no hurry to help and it is always busting at the seams in the office. I pulled into the parking lot, thanked God that I was not one of the teens taking the drivers test....at 43, you don't have too. I took a deep breath and walked in. I was overdressed in my bermudas and sandals and "flattering" top. I stood there for a moment to get my wits about me and found out that I had to stand in a line to get a number to stand in line to get helped before I stood in line to get my picture taken...must look good... to stand in line to get my license back.

In the "number" line and smiled at a lady who was visibly shaky. Honestly, I think she was drunk. She smiled back started digging for her purse. She pulled out her lipstick and I turned away as not to intrude. Lipstick is a personal thing. I caught myself looking back in her direction only to see she had put on her lipstick...not her shade...and she had totally missed. It was not only on her lips but her chin and she ran way outside the lines. I, who would normally say something, was speechless. As she walked away, I just sat there and checked my lipstick.

After I received my number I was in the "I have my number, now what?" line and I stood there and people watched. If you know me well you may find it hard to believe I can stand still and be quiet, but I can. People watching is a favorite past time of mine. I watched as a teenage boy got his license and got a huge hug from him mom declaring what a good picture it was...see, I told you, we must look good. She was so excited, I wondered if she knew that her nerves and heart would never be the same. I watched as a twenty-something young lady explained that she needed to pay 3 tickets and get her license renewed. And, by the way, she didn't know where her licensed were, "they have been lost a while". I watched sadly, as an elderly man was denied his license because he couldn't pass the vision test. I hurt for him.

As I waited, I began to feel blue. I felt like I was in a bad movie about the stages of life. New license, renewed license, you can't have a license and "I have no idea where my license are" stages. I decided that I didn't want to be 43. What if I got up to the counter and they said, "you are about to be 43...no license for you?" It would be a waste of a perfectly good outfit and makeup. I watched....Lipstick lady walks by. She now has lipstick on every tooth, top and bottom. She smiles at me...again...I am speechless.

"Mrs. Wells...your license are ready. Please check them for....." Dang, I look good in my picture. Way too young to be 43.......

1 comment:

The Pitners said...

I only hope to look as great as you when I am 43!!!