My Etsy Shop - Kiss Me Krafty

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It happened....no lie!

I haven't posted in a while because I am lazy.  In the last month, I have been back and forth from doctor to doctor.  I have paid millions in co-pays, gas and meds.  I can say without hesitation that I work solely for insurance.  Thank God for it.  I certainly don't work for the money.  Walmart greeters make more than me.  Prisoners make more.  Anyway, I cannot stand to go to the doctor.  I fear doctors and nurses.  Not because of needles and stuff.  A needle does not scare me...(unless it is in my mouth).  I fear their office in general.  I will explain.

Two years ago, I was having some problems with my hand (hence, carpal tunnel surgery).  I was sent to a new doctor to get his opinion.  I made the appointment and the plans to out run a rocket to get there by 3:30.  I arrived....checked in....filled out papers....filled out insurance info even though they were going to scan it anyway....went to bathroom and settled in. 

4:00 pm.  No worries.  I can read so more.  Confession...I watch people.  Even when I pretend to be reading.  I am watching.

4:30 pm. I am watching alright.  Watching people go in and out of the door.  Hey, what about me?  I have been here longer than those people.   I step up to desk.  "I am sorry Mrs. Wells...Dr. Whatever is a little behind."   No worries.  I can read a couple of articles.

5:00 pm.  Worried.  Mrs. Wells is getting very worried.  I give unfriendly receptionist the "how much longer do I have to wait?" look.  She makes eye contact and goes back to her job. 

You would think that I would have seen the red flags.  Not.  I am just happy to be here.

5:15 pm  Finally!!  They call me back.  (No I do not want to step on the scale...look at me...write something down and be kind).  "My blood pressure is high?"..REALLY?!  "Dr. Freakin Running Behind will be right with you."

5:45 pm  I am listening to the doctor talk to other patients.  They should really rethink these walls.  I really didn't need to know that Mr. Other Patient is having trouble wiping.

6:00 pm  Quiet...except for my own shallow breathing and heatbeat.  Hello?  Do I dare move?  Where is Dr. I Will Kick Your Ass when you get in here?  No phones....no chatting...no movi.......Goodnight?

Mrs. Wells coughs as loud as she can.  Moments later....Dr. I  Was Already In My Car When The Nurse Tells Me I Forgot A Patient comes in.  No flippin lie...they had locked up.

The red flag is flying so high.   I guess I should be happy that the nurse heard me "pretend" cough.  Would I have been found dead at the back door the next morning?  Would my nails be worked down to the bloody nub?  Can you see the headlines.

Dr. I Have Been Doing This Way Too Long....tells me I have some swelling and tenderness...

He has no idea. 

I haven't scheduled an appt. past noon since.  Someone else can be the last patient.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, Lori, Lori .... THANK YOU GIRL !! I Have Missed You So Much !! So Very Appreciative of The Tears I Have Streaming Down My Face !! LOVE YOU GIRLIE !!

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh. You poor thing! That is a crazy story! I'd be scared too after that! Did he apologize or ANYthing, or just act like it was normal to forget patients???

Anonymous said...

Too funny!! I've missed your stories-stumbled upon this one.