My Etsy Shop - Kiss Me Krafty

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Granny Soup

Good morning world!  What a gorgeous day outside despite the fact that it is freezing.  I understand that it is only January but I am so ready for spring.  Somehow I feel cuter in my capris and flops. 

I am going to try my hand at blogging, (maybe to keep me away from the pantry).  I have always loved to write my feelings down.  I have journals starting in the 4th grade.  Writing soothes my soul.  It helps calm me.  I do not fret over others knowing what I am thinking because I am an open book.  Just ask me something...I will tell you.  I feel more real and connected that way.

 I chose to call my blog Granny Soup.  Why Granny Soup you ask.  Well for those of you who never knew my Granny....your life is not complete.  If you have never tasted Granny Soup from her (or me)....you are totally missing out.  I will elaborate...

My first memory of Granny Soup is our house on Clinton Street.  Granny's kitchen always smelled of something good.  I could not have been more than 2 or 3.  I do remember Granny blowing on the soup to cool it down.  She would even drop an ice cube in it.  The soup was made from what was left over in the fridge.  Add her cornbread or biscuits....oh my....comfort food.  It did not have a name.  I started asking for Granny's Soup...the name was born.

In high school, I would beg Granny to open a restaurant and call it Granny Soup.  I think it would have been a hit.  Granny put the recipe in a local cookbook and titled it, "Granny Soup...Lori's Favorite". 

When I married and became the queen of my own kitchen...I made my first Granny Soup.  I am a pro.  A natural.  It is so simple yet so filling and yummy.  I make it now in honor of Granny.  It is still my favorite comfort food. 

So....Granny Soup was an obvious choice for my blog.  It is a mixture of many things.  Much like Granny.  I wish I had gotten a chance to make soup for her.  I think she would be proud.  I have never mastered her biscuits...but I can make a mean cornbread.

....ummm what's for dinner.....

1 comment:

cuzIcan said...

LOLO! You can not reveal the secret recipe of granny's soup. If you do all of your hair will fall out and bleed!!